We ask that all applicants carefully read the application guidelines in their entirety before applying to the program. You should also carefully review the frequently asked questions section to address any questions you may have concerning the application process. The guidelines cover all steps in the application process. We ask that you please do not reach out to the program team unless a question is not covered in this booklet.
If there are any questions or difficulty with the application, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Draper Hills Summer Fellows program uses the WizeHive application system to manage all incoming applications. This system is widely used by other fellowship programs and should be easy to use. Here are some guidelines to take note of when using the application system:
You can save your work at any time and return to the form at your convenience. You do not need to complete the application form in one sitting. It is strongly suggested that you save your work often by clicking on the "Save Draft" button at the end of the page.
Once you submit your application form you can no longer return to make any changes. Please review all your work before clicking the "Submit" button at the end of the application form.
The system will notify you by email during the following stages in the application submission process:
1. When your application form has been received.
2. When letters of recommendation have been submitted on your behalf.
3. Once your application file is complete with a minimum of two letters of recommendation.
In order to apply to the Draper Hills Summer Fellows Program please create an account through our online portal. The application form is available once you login in and will be available through the deadline, Wednesday, November 18, 2015. Due to the volume of applications, we strongly suggest that you submit the application form as soon as possible. You will be asked to contact two references to furnish letters of recommendation to support your candidacy to the program. A complete application package will be due no later than Wednesday, November 18, 2015.
Semi-finalists may be called for more information regarding their application and/or requested to submit a 3-4 minute long video testimonial.
Applicants will be informed of their selection to the program by the end of March 2016. Please do not email us concerning your application status before that timeframe as the program team will be very busy processing and reviewing files.
You can access the application portal here.
All application materials must be submitted in English. Applicants should be sensitive to word count and not exceed any of the stated word count limits in the narrative sections of the form as you will automatically be cut off.
Please remember that you are always able to save and return to your work at any time by clicking on the "Save Draft" button. We encourage you to save your work often during the application process so you do not jeopardize losing your material.
The application contains the following sections:
I. Applicant Information
II. Academics & Career Information
III. Essay Questions
IV. English Language Proficiency
V. Financial Information
VI. Letters of Recommendation
VII. Personal Certification
Sections 3 and 6 require the most attention from applicants. More detailed instructions are provided below.
We suggest that you draft your responses in a word processing document and then copy and paste in into the application form. In drafting your responses, please try and avoid overly technical language and explain acronyms so that your ideas can be easily understandable to people who are not working in your field of expertise.
If appropriate, please feel free to provide some brief country-based context or historical reference so the reviewers have a sense of how your work is impacting the current state of democratic development in your country of origin.
Our application system has a word count limit and will track your word count on the form. It is important that you be concise in answering questions. Please focus on the most important points that you want to convey.
1. Please provide a short description of your organization's mission and scope of work. (50 words maximum)
2. Describe your current profession and general responsibilities (please do not cut and paste from your CV here, but provide a general description of your work, 100 words maximum).
3. How many years you have been actively working in the field of democracy, development, and the rule of law? (50 words maximum)
4. How has your work, as well as any community activity or public life accomplishments, contributed to the advancement of democracy, economic development, justice, or social reform in your country? In other words, how would you describe your impact on your community, country, region, or beyond? (200 word maximum)
5. On a personal level, what inspires you to do the work that you do? (100 word maximum)
6. Why you are interested in applying to our fellowship program? (200 word maximum)
7. Where do you see yourself in 5-10 years? How does this fellowships help you to achieve your goals? (200 word maximum)
8. If you are accepted into our program and become a member of our alumni community, how do you anticipate contributing your skills or time towards alumni activities? (100 word maximum)
9. Have you participated in academic or professional fellowship programs in the past? If so, which ones and how is this fellowship program different? (100 word maximum)
Please prepare a resume or curriculum vitae to upload with application form. The document should be in English and a minimum of one page and no longer than three pages in length. We will not accept CV’s longer than 3 pages or in other languages.
The document must be formatted in MS Word Document (.doc) or Adobe Acrobat PDF (.pdf), all other file types will not be accepted. The resume should list in order of priority the following:
1. Your professional experience with your most recent position listed first and dates of employment
2. Your educational credentials, including all degrees earned
3. Awards and honors if applicable
4. Publications if applicable (please do not include an exhaustive list)
The maximum file size is 300 MB. Please note that once you submit the application you will not be able to make any changes. We ask that you carefully review the form before submitting.